VBHC is gaining momentum globally. What are the foundational principles and who is leading the way?
Scott Wallace, Managing Director, Value Institute for Health and Care and Associate Professor, Dell Medical School, The University of Texas at Austin
Toward a Pan-Canadian Perspective on VBHC
(CFHI Commissioned Research)
VBHC is in its infancy in Canada. Who are the leaders and early adopters and what have they learned so far?
- Jennifer Zelmer, President, Azimuth Health Group; CFHI Faculty
- Mary Lou Ackerman, Vice-President of Innovation, St. Elizabeth
- William Charnetski, Ontario Chief Health Innovation Strategist
- Erik Sande, President, Medavie
- Alexis Wise, Health Lead, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
Integrating for Value
Transforming the organization and delivery of care is essential to the valuebased approach. Fundamental changes to the design and leadership of care teams, and a shift from specialty-focused departments to multispecialty collaboration are critical to success. This session will bring together Canadian and international experts to discuss integrated care models, approaches to change management and lessons learned.
- Kim Furlong, Director of Federal Government Affairs, Amgen Canada
- Shirlee Sharkey, CEO at St. Elizabeth
- Caleb Stowell, Enterprise Director, Value-Based Care, Providence Health and Services, Washington DC
- Henk Veeze, Diabeter, The Netherlands
Funding for Value
The move to value-based health care will require a shift to alternative payment models. Providers and payers will need to collaborate in an effort to begin paying for outcomes as opposed to activity. New models such as bundled payments can help incentivize care providers to organize around the patient. This session will explore innovative models in Canada and abroad to support the move to a more patient-centric funding approach that rewards providers for outstanding patient outcomes.
- Jason Vanderheyden, National Director, Value-Based Healthcare, Medtronic Canada
- Melissa Farrell, Assistant Deputy Minister, Health System Quality and Funding, Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care
- Brian Golden, Rotman School of Management
- Kevin Smith, CEO, St. Joseph’s Health System, Ontario
- Jason Sutherland, Associate Professor, University of British Columbia, School of Population and Public Health
Measuring Value: Data, Standards, and Cost
Data and analytics are critical enablers in any value-based health care initiative. Health care teams, patients, payers and policy makers all need to understand desired outcomes and the cost of achieving them in order to succeed in the shift from volumes to value. This session will explore information and strategies required to power value-based care at all levels of health systems.
- Andre Dias, Head of Commercial and Regulatory Development, MYIA Labs
- Angela Copeland, Director, Data & Analytics Strategic Initiatives and Governance, Analytics and Informatics, Cancer Care Ontario
- Jacob Lippa, Manager of Clinical Analytics, Value-Based Care, Providence St. Joseph Health, Seattle
- Greg Webster, Director, Acute and Ambulatory Information Services, Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Lynne Zucker, Vice-President, Clinical Systems Integration, Canada Health Infoway