Attendance to the VBHC Canada Summit was by invitation only.
March 19, 2018 - 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
07:30 to 08:15 - Registration & Breakfast
08:15 to 08:20 - Official Welcome to the Rotman School of Management
Brian Golden, Chair of Health Sector Strategy, Rotman School of Management
08:20 to 08:25 - Patient Reflection
Louise Binder, Health Policy Consultant, Save Your Skin Foundation
What does “value” mean to patients? How do they know it when they see it?
08:25 to 08:30 - Overview of the Day
Fred Horne Chair, Summit Steering Committee
08:30 to 09:30 - Keynote Address
Scott Wallace, Managing Director, Value Institute for Health and Care and Associate Professor, Dell Medical School, The University of Texas at Austin
VBHC is gaining momentum globally. What are the foundational principles and who is leading the way?
09:30 to 10:45 - Toward a pan-Canadian Perspective on VBHC (CFHI Commissioned Research)
Session Chair: Jennifer Zelmer, President, Azimuth Health Group; CFHI Faculty
VBHC is in its infancy in Canada. Who are the leaders and early adopters and what have they learned so far?
- Mary Lou Ackerman, Vice-President of Innovation, St. Elizabeth
- William Charnetski, Ontario Chief Health Innovation Strategist
- Erik Sande, President, Medavie
- Alexis Wise, Senior Manager, Capital Advisory, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
10:45 to 11:00 - Networking Break
11:00 to 12:00 - Integrating for Value
Session Chair: Kim Furlong, Director of Federal Government Affairs, Amgen Canada
Transforming the organization and delivery of care is essential to the value-based approach. Fundamental changes to the design and leadership of care teams, and a shift from specialty-focused departments to multispecialty collaboration are critical to success. This session will bring together Canadian and international experts to discuss integrated care models, approaches to change management and lessons learned.
- Shirlee Sharkey, CEO, St. Elizabeth
- Caleb Stowell, Enterprise Director, Value-Based Care, Providence Health and Services, Seattle
- Henk Veeze, Diabeter, The Netherlands
12:00 to 12:45 - Lunch
12:45 to 13:45 - Funding for Value
Session Chair: Jason Vanderheyden, National Director, Value-Based Healthcare, Medtronic Canada
The move to value-based healthcare will require a shift to alternative payment models. Providers and payers will need to collaborate in an effort to begin paying for outcomes as opposed to activity. New models such as bundled payments can help incentivize care providers to organize around the patient. This session will explore innovative models in Canada and abroad to support the move to a more patient-centric funding approach that rewards providers for outstanding patient outcomes.
- Fredrika Scarth, Director, Health Quality Ontario Liaison and Program Development Branch
- Brian Golden, Chair of Health Sector Strategy, Rotman School of Management
- Kevin Smith, CEO, St. Joseph’s Health System, Ontario
- Jason Sutherland, Associate Professor, UBC School of Population & Public Health
13:45 to 14:45 - Measuring Value: Data, Standards, and Cost
Session Chair: Andre Dias, Head of Commercial and Regulatory Development, MYIA Labs
Data and analytics are critical enablers in any value-based healthcare initiative. Health care teams, patients, payers and policy makers all need to understand desired outcomes and the cost of achieving them in order to succeed in the shift from volumes to value. This session will explore information and strategies required to power value-based care both at all levels of health systems.
- Angela Copeland, Director, Data & Analytics Strategic Initiatives & Governance, Analytics and Informatics, Cancer Care Ontario
- Jacob Lippa, Manager of Clinical Analytics, Value-Based Healthcare, Providence St. Joseph Health, Seattle
- Greg Webster, Director, Acute and Ambulatory Information Services, Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Lynne Zucker, Vice-President, Clinical Systems Integration, Canada Health Infoway
14:45 to 15:00 - Networking Break
15:00 to 15:55 - Implementation and Lessons Learned: Accelerating VBHC in Canada
Open Dialogue for All Summit Participants
Moderators: Fred Horne, Chair, Summit Steering Committee & Maria Judd, Vice-President, Programs, Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement
This session builds on key learnings from the day and features open dialogue with presenters and participants about the concrete steps needed to organize, accelerate and support a shift to VBHC in Canada.
Some questions to be explored include:
- What leadership is required to support the shift to VBHC?
- What are the key resources and enablers needed to move ahead?
- What hurdles should we expect and what are the likely solutions?
A group of senior health system leaders noted below* will help lead the discussion by providing targeted feedback and responding to questions.
*Open Dialogue Focus Group:
- William Charnetski, Chief Health Innovation Strategist, Ontario
- Janet Davidson, Chair, Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Neil Fraser, President, Medtronic Canada
- Brian Golden, Centre for Health Sector Strategy, Rotman School of Management
- Maria Judd, Vice-President, Programs, Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement
- Peter Juhn, Head of Global Value-based Partnerships, Amgen
- Brian O’Rourke, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health
- Fredrika Scarth, Director, HQO Liaison and Program Development Branch, Health System Quality and Funding Divisions, MOHLTC
- Jennifer Zelmer, President, Azimuth Health Group
15:55 to 16:00 - Patient Reflection
Angela Morin, Patient Partner, Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement.
16:00 to 16:15 - Summary and Next Steps
Fred Horne, Chair, Summit Steering Committee
16:15 to 17:30 - Networking Reception
Delegates are invited to the Atrium for a reception hosted by the Summit Steering Committee
For a PDF version, please click here